A cyberattack has caused widespread disruption across Australia, with the Federal Government’s National Cyber Security Centre warning people to prepare for a disruption of “a magnitude never seen before”.
The AFP said the attack was aimed at “taking control of critical infrastructure”, and that it was a coordinated attack on three agencies.
“This is not the first time the AFP has had to deal with cyber threats in Australia,” AFP Commissioner Rod Sims said.
“As we have said, this is a complex cyber threat and requires the support of an experienced and knowledgeable cyber team, but we have a good understanding of how these cyber threats work and how we can protect ourselves.”
He said there were no signs of a compromise of any critical infrastructure, but the AFP was concerned that the disruption was linked to the AFP’s IT infrastructure.
The AFP said its system had been compromised, with an unknown number of people compromised, but was working to restore services.
“It’s an unfortunate event and the AFP is working with the affected agencies and others to restore normal operations,” Mr Sims said, adding that the AFP would continue to work closely with the public and private sector to provide them with information.
He also said it was “highly likely” the attack had been orchestrated by Russia.
Mr Sims said the AFP had launched a national alert to reassure the public that their personal information had not been compromised.
ABC/wiresTopics:cyber-attacks,information-and-communication,security-intelligence,australiaFirst posted June 29, 2020 13:50:33Contact Josh FurlongMore stories from Western Australia